Ever wanted to make-your-own holiday gift? This one is quick to put together and stores well. In a pinch, your friends could just add water to the mixture and have soup on hand. Suggest they add in some fresh garlic and onion as noted below for even more homemade flavor!
You will need:
- 1 c yellow lentils
- 1 c red lentils
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1/3 c dried apple (~1 oz)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ t curry powder
- 2 t turmeric
- ½ t crushed red pepper
- 3 t minced dried onion
- 1 glass jar (1 liter volume)
- 1 snack size Ziplock bag
To fill the jar…
- Make a layer out of 1/2 c yellow lentils.
- Top with a layer of 1/2 c red lentils.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2.
- Make a layer of sun-dried tomatoes.
- Combine the curry powder, turmeric, crushed red pepper and minced dried onion in a small bowl. Seal in a snack-sized Ziplock bag. Roll to release excess air; tape into small packet if desired.
- Place the spice sack on top of the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add the bay leaves.
- Top with the dried apple.
- Cover with a small round of wax or parchment paper. Add a recipe card on top with the jar mixture and the steps below.
To make the soup…
- Heat 3 T margarine in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add 3 cloves of garlic, minced, and 1 small onion, diced. Sauté 5 minutes.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and dried apple.
- Add the contents of the spice sack and the bay leaves to the pot. Stir in and cook another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, apples and lentils. Add 8 c water or stock.
- Simmer until the lentils are soft, approx. 1 hour.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.