I saw a version of this in Self and couldn’t resist adapting it this past weekend. It was the perfect healthy meal to go alongside some planning for a Greek vacation in September! It’s packed with protein and healthy fibers, plus it’s got some great flavors from mint, lemon and feta. I enjoyed it still warm from the cooking, but it’s something that would be good cold too. I’d also venture a guess that the flavors improve as they hang out together in the fridge.
You will need:
- 1/2 lb chicken
- 1/2 c bulgur
- 1 c water
- 2 fresh lemons
- 1/4 c fresh mint, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c fresh Italian flat parsley, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 c)
- 1 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 c tomato, diced
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook the pan in a non-stick skillet, seasoning with salt and pepper, until brown on both sides and cooked through. Allow to cool enough to handle. Shred the chicken by hand. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Bring the bulgur and water to a bowl with the juice of 1 lemon. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until it absorbs the water, approx. 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Stir in the mint, parsley, red onion, cucumber, tomato and feta.
- Zest the remaining lemon. Add zest and juice to the mixture.
- Mix in the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.