Today I was thinking about how excited I am to be heading home in a week. My sister really REALLY likes banana bread, and I had a few very ripe bananas sitting around. Then when I got home, I found the next disc of Mad Men in my mailbox, which reminded of my friend. We call her Poppy. So what could be more perfect than Banana Poppy Muffin Bites???
I made one batch of mini muffins and had enough batter left for 3 regular ol’ muffins. They came delightfully caramelized on the outside and deliciously moist and chewy on the inside! I can’t wait till they cool. Then I’m gonna freeze a bunch to bring home next Wednesday! Easiest way to freeze them is to let them freeze unwrapped for about an hour, and then pop them in a freezer-safe bag. They should keep for awhile, and you can microwave them to get them all warm and toasty again!
- 1/4 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 t nutmeg
- 1-2 T poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3 or 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 t vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease your muffin cups (I used a tray of 24 mini muffins and a few regular muffins too).
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and poppy seeds.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar well. Beat the eggs and add them, mixing well. Mash and add the bananas. Mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until mixed.
- Drop the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean. (Regular muffins will take about 10-15 minutes longer!)
These would also be really scrumptious with some finely chopped nuts thrown in!