Awhile back there was a soup poll! I didn’t forget that butternut squash soup won, but I was doing some sleuthing for tasty soup ideas. This soup is full of squash flavor with lots of roasted yellow pepper. Then there’s smokey paprika to round it out! If you wanted, you could use sweet Hungarian paprika too – it just will highlight the sweetness of the soup. I decided to use frozen, pureed butternut squash because it’s easy to find in the supermarket. If you wanted another variation on this soup, then try it with canned pumpkin puree! Adding toasty sunflower or pumpkin seeds when you serve adds an unexpected crunch. Yumm!
You will need…
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 1/2- 3 c yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 2 large)
- 1 1/2 c carrots, chopped (about 2 medium)
- 1 c yellow onion, chopped (about 1 large)
- 1 1/2 t Spanish smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 c broth, divided
- 1 t fresh ground pepper
- 2 boxes (12 oz) frozen pureed butternut squash (or 2 cans pureed pumpkin)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Sunflower seeds, toasted for on top
- In a large stockpot, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add yellow bell pepper, carrots, and onion. Cook 10 minutes or until just starting to turn tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add paprika and garlic, and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in 3 cups of the broth and the black pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until the veggies are soft all the way through.
- Puree the cooked vegetables with some of the cooking liquid until smooth. Return to the broth in the stockpot.
- Add the two frozen squash and the remaining 2 cups of broth to the pureed soup base. Bring to a simmer and allow the squash to thaw.
- Simmer another 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve with toasted seeds, and if you’re feeling adventurous, a dollop of Greek yogurt!
Note: Whenever you are blending hot liquid, be sure to give the steam some space to escape. Putting a clean dishtowel over the top of the blender lid will help you avoid any spills!