Cinnamon Sugar StrawsDecember 15, 2010
Now I am sure you are wondering, “so what do I do with the other sheet of puff pastry after making some chicken puffs??” Problem solved! You may have seen puffy pastry straws in your cookie aisle at the market. These are 1000% better and very easy to make.
You will need:
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed (typically half of a 17.3 oz. frozen box)
- 1 egg
- 1 T water
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your counter top. Roll out the pastry into a 12-in square.
- Whisk together the egg and water to make a wash. Lightly coat the pastry with the egg wash.
- On one half of the rolled out dough, sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fold the other half of the dough over the sugared side.
- Gently roll the dough back into a 12-in square. (If it seems too sticky, refrigerate for 15-20 minutes first).
- Using a pizza cutter or a very sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Twist one of the strips and place on the cookie sheet, pressing the ends down. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the straws turn golden brown.
- Cool on a rack for at least 5 minutes, as the sugar will make the filling extra hot!