As I’ve mentioned, D has a soft spot for coconut; I’m usually trying to come up with some new way to use coconut just for him. This a play on a coconut cream pie: there is coconut and meringue mixed right into the filling. The top gets a little crunchy while the pie bakes, which makes each slice extra special.
You will need:
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 T unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 c sweetened coconut
Then you will…
- Line a 9-inch pie dish with the crust. Place the dish on top of foil on a baking sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate the eggs; put the yolks in a large mixing bowl and the white in a smaller one.
- Beat the yolks well.
- Add the sugar and salt to the yolks and beat until well mixed.
- Add the milk to the yolk mixture and beat well.
- Mix the maple syrup, ginger and coconut in the yolk mixture.
- Then, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form but they aren’t dry.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk-coconut mixture.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until set through and golden on top.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before slicing.