There is something very comforting about an upside down cake. I love when you flip it out of the pan, and then all the caramelized topping drips down the sides. This one mixes together bananas (my brother’s favorite) and coconut (my fiance’s favorite) plus caramel (one of my favorites).
You will need:
- 3 bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 8 T butter, divided
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 c toasted coconut flakes
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 1/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a round cake pan with cooking spray (I used a 9-inch one).
- Line the bottom of the pan with the banana slices.
- In a small pan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter with the brown sugar and lemon juice until it is dissolved into a syrup.
- Pour the syrup over the bananas.
- Top with the toasted coconut.
- In a medium bowl, cream together 4 tablespoons of the butter with the white sugar.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Mix in the egg, milk and extract. Beat until well mixed.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cake is golden and a tester comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before inverting to serve.