As fall kicks off, who else is reminded of all the deliciousness you can make with your crockpot? I am starting my transition back to work full time after 5 glorious months of maternity leave, and my husband and I plan to put our slow cooker to good use. After all, what beats extra cuddle time earned by having dinner ready to go when you get home from work?
This is an enchilada-inspired casserole that is a hearty dinner option. It is chock full of chicken, black beans and mushrooms, but you could swap or add other veggies to suit your fancy.
You will need:
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken breast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 t cumin
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 oz enchilada sauce
- 12-16 soft corn tortillas, cut into 4 strips each
- 4 c shredded cheese (recommended: Mexican blend, cheddar, or Monterey Jack)
- 2 c sour cream
Then you will…
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute the chicken breast until cooked through and golden, about 5-7 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Shred with two forks and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss with the cumin.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet. Saute until the mushrooms give off their liquids and start to turn golden.
- Stir in the scallions and black beans. Remove from heat.
- Pour enough enchilada sauce in the crockpot to lightly cover the bottom (~ 1/2 cup).
- Layer 1/4 of the tortilla strips, the remaining sauce, and the sour cream.
- Layer 1/3 of the veggie mixture and the chicken.
- Layer 1/4 of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat steps 9 through 11 two more times.
- Then repeat step 9 one final time to finish the casserole.
- Cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve by scooping down to get some of all the layers. Recommend having some extra sour cream and salsa on the side for those who want it!