I made this as a side dish for our Friendsgiving feast this year. I loved that you could make it ahead of time and pop it back into the oven while the turkey rests. This meant less fuss, mess and stress when our friends were all here. Plus, who doesn’t like broccoli and cheese?
You will need:
- 11 T unsalted butter (or olive oil), divided
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1.5 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 c panko bread crumbs
- 1 T + 1 1/2 t garlic powder, divided
- 1 T + 2 t oregano, divided
- 3 t paprika, divided
- 4 c shredded cheese, divided (I used a cheddar and jack blend)5 T flour
- 4 c milk
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter (or use olive oil) over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onion, and saute 3-5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Stir in the broccoli. Saute for another 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the panko with 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons oregano, and 1 teaspoon paprika.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter (or use olive oil). Stir into the crumb mixture.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese to the crumb mixture. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter (or use olive oil) over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until combined and smooth.
- Whisk in the mustard, 1 T garlic powder, 1 T oregano, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 t dried thyme and the cayenne pepper.
- Allow to thicken until sauce clings to the back of a spoon, whisking frequently.
- Whisk in the remaining 3 1/2 cups of cheese until melted and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegetables with the cheese sauce.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the crumb mixture.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and the dish is hot and bubbly.
NOTE: if preparing in advance, you can partially cook it or just wait until the day of your meal to cook it all the way. Whatever is easiest for your planning!