Lemon-Herb Roasted ChickenDecember 6, 2010
This is a light, delicious Sunday-dinner type recipe. Serve it with your favorite vegetables and some potatoes or stuffing. It also makes delicious stock.
You will need:
- 4 T butter softened
- 1 T rosemary, finely minced
- 2 T parsley, finely minced
- 1 T thyme, finely minced
- 1 T sage, finely minced
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- Lemon zest from 2 lemons (see below)
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 t pepper
- 1 boiler chicken, washed with giblets removed, excess fat trimmed, and patted dry
- 2 lemons, 1 halved and 1 quartered
- 1 bouquet garni – full stems of rosemary, thyme and sage bound together in a bundle the size of a small fist
- In a small bowl, blend together the softened butter with the minced rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, shallot, salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to slightly harden.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Rub the compound butter mixture under and over the skin to season the bird on all sides.
- Place the bird breast side up in a roaster pan. Squeeze 2 lemon halves over the top of the chicken.
- Stuff the quartered lemon in the body cavity. Add in the bouquet garni.
- Roast for about 90 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 165 degrees at the thickest part of the bird (not touching bone or fat).
- Baste periodically to keep the chicken moist.