Patatas Bravas is a common bar snack in Spain. It is a dish that mixes crispy potatoes with a spicy tomato sauce. It’s a great snack or side dish!
You will need:
- 2 lb red-skinned potatoes, quartered into bite-sized pieces
- Enough boiling water to cover potatoes
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 t cayenne pepper, as much as you want for spice
- 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 4 T grated Parmesan (optional)
Then you will…
- Soak the potato pieces in the boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Drain and dry the potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons of the olive oil with the salt and garlic powder. Toss the potatoes in this seasoned mix.
- Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet with sides and roast 25-30 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook over medium-low heat until the onions are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cayenne.
- Mix in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer about 15 minutes to slightly reduce. Add additional seasoning to taste.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving bowl.
- Top with the spicy tomato sauce and the Parmesan (if desired).