This play on sweet-and-sour chicken gets some heat from Indian spices, like garam masala. Garam masala is an addictive mixture of cinnamon, coriander, cloves, black pepper, cumin and cardamom.
If you want a milder dish, add a bit extra yogurt or cream (and leave out the fresh peppers). It is awesome with some rice and naan, which will pick up any extra sauce. I cooked it on the stove, but this is also an easy recipe to throw in the oven or crock pot on low for several hours.
You will need:
- 1 can (6 oz) unsalted tomato paste
- 8 T plain Greek yogurt (I recommend at least 2% fat)
- 4 1/2 t garam masala
- 3 t chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz (~ 7 T) mango chutney
- 1 t salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 t sugar
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 4 T olive oil
- 2/3 c water
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped (optional)
- 5 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 T light cream or coconut milk
Then you will…
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the tomato paste, yogurt, garam masala, garlic, mango chutney, salt and sugar.
- Stir in the chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow the chicken to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the yogurt-covered chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Mix in the water to thin the sauce slightly. Continue cooking another 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in the chilies (if using), cilantro and cream. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice and naan.