This is a nutty twist on a dense carrot cake with just a hint of spice/pound cake too. You could serve it with or without the frosting but, then again, this cream cheese frosting is extra yummy with cinnamon and honey.
You will need:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 c brown sugar, scant
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c shredded carrot (approx. 2-3 medium carrots)
- 1 c walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 t ground cloves
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c honey, scant
- 1 T milk
Then you will…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs with the brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Mix in the salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold in carrots and walnuts.
- Stir in the flour just until mixed.
- Spread in the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Take out and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese with the honey and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Thin with milk to desired consistency.
- Top with the cream cheese frosting. Invite friends over and share!