Slow cooked dinners are magical. You add everything to the crock pot and turn it on. Hours later….BAM! Dinner is done! D loves chili and noodles. This combines the best of both. We used ground turkey, but you could substitute lean ground beef. You can also check out this alternative that we tried right after R was born.
You will need:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (30 oz) chili beans in chili sauce
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 c low sodium beef broth
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t cumin
- 2 T of pickling spices in a tea ball
- Salt and pepper ,to taste
- 8 oz favorite shaped pasta, uncooked (e.g., elbows, cavatappi)
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- Small bunch of scallions, trimmed and chopped
- Sour cream for serving (optional)
Then you will…
- Put the ground turkey in the bottom of your slow cooker and break into smaller pieces. (Optional: if you wanted, you could brown it lightly in a skillet with a few tablespoons of olive oil first).
- Add in the onion, garlic, beans, tomatoes, beef broth, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Stir together.
- Add the tea ball of pickling spices.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on LOW.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, taste test.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the pasta and shredded cheese. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn slow cooker off.
- Top with scallions and serve with sour cream, if desired.