Chicken Enchilada Skillet CasseroleApril 11, 2017
I love dinners that can be prepared in one pot or skillet. It makes clean up simple, plus all the flavors get to come together as you cook (rather than when you plate!).
You will need:
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 3 T flour
- 2 c low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t chili powder
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 can (4oz) chopped green chiles
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 can (15 oz) reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c sour cream
- 2 c shredded cheese (recommend a cheddar-jack blend)
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth, pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt.
- Continue whisking until smooth and thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the green chiles with any liquid from the can.
- Add the chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, spread the corn tortillas on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes and stir/toss. Bake another 3 minutes or until starting to crisp up.
- Remove tortillas from the oven and set aside.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and shred, leaving the heat on low.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Stir in the black beans and sour cream into the sauce.
- Stir in the tortilla pieces until combined.
- Sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm and bubbly!