Sloppy Joe CasseroleJanuary 23, 2017
This is lighter version of a sloppy joe casserole: I substituted spaghetti squash for noodles or potato and then swapped ground turkey for the ground beef. It is also excellent as leftovers!
You will need:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t dry mustard
- 2 t chili powder
- 1/2 c ketchup
- 4 T tomato paste
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c shredded cheese (we used colby jack)
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line an edged baking sheet with foil. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Place the two halves face-down on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the ground turkey and saute until crumbled and starting to brown.
- Add the peppers, onions, garlic, dry mustard and chili powder. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire, and water. Allow to simmer and reduce by half.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- After removing the spaghetti squash from the oven, scrape the inside with a fork to form the noodles.
- Transfer the squash noodles to the prepared baking dish.
- Mix in the sloppy joe mixture.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly.