Slow Cooker Squash, Lentil and Chickpea StewOctober 30, 2016
This is a hearty fall stew that requires very little prep work. You could allow everything to simmer on the stovetop or toss it into a crockpot while you head out for the day. D said it reminded him of a chili, and it went well with a salad and some crusty bread. It would also be a great dish to prep, pop in the freezer, and save for a busy day.
You will need:
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 T garam masala
- 3 c butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 28 oz diced tomatoes with chilies, with their juices
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- 1 c red lentils
- 30 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Then you will…
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (If not using a crockpot, use a large soup pot and then add the rest of the ingredients to the pot throughout the recipe).
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Stir in the garam masala and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Combine along with the remaining ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.