Spring Pasta PrimaveraMarch 28, 2016
We’ve had a stream of warm weather, which seemed to cry out for a spring-inspired dinner. This easy pasta primavera was just the thing!
You will need:
- 1/2 c bread crumbs
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 c Parmesan, shredded and divided
- 2 T unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb asparagus, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 c fresh peas
- 1 lb wide pasta
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T flour
- 1/4 c chicken stock
- 1 c milk
- 4 oz cream cheese or creme fraiche
Then you will…
- In a food processor, combine the bread crumbs with the lemon zest, half of the garlic, 1/3 (scant) of the onion), a few inches of the cheese, and the butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pulse until well combined.
- In a small skillet, brown the crumb topping. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the asparagus to the boiling water. Allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the peas to the boiling water. Allow to cook for 1 minutes.
- Drain and stop the cooking by placing the veggies in a cold water bath.
- Bring another pot of salted water to a boil. (If you want to skip this step, use a slotted spoon to remove the veggies from the first pot).
- Cook the pasta according to the package, stopping 1-2 minutes shy of the recommended cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the remaining garlic and onion. Saute for 6-8 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the flour and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and then the milk.
- Allow the sauce to thicken, whisking regularly for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until melted and well combined.
- Whisk in the shredded cheese until melted and smooth.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce until well coated. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the asparagus and peas.
- Serve the pasta topped with the toasted bread crumbs.
Posted in Dinner, Pasta, Vegetarian | Tagged Alfredo sauce, asparagus, bread crumbs, cheese sauce, garlic, lemon, onion, Parmesan, pasta, pasta primavera, peas, spring pasta, spring vegetables, zest |