Coconut Pecan CakeFebruary 26, 2016
Over Valentine’s weekend, I felt like baking a cake. D loves coconut, and I love pecans, so that was the inspiration. That and I am fairly sure it will be awhile before I find the quiet time to bake a cake once Baby gets here!
You will need:
- 2 c flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 2 c unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 4 t vanilla extract, divided
- 1 t almond extract, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1 c buttermilk
- 14 oz sweetened flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 2 c pecan pieces, toasted, divided
- 1 packages (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 lb powdered sugar
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the 1 cup of the butter, sugar, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of the vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of the almond extracts.
- Beat until light and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well before adding the next egg.
- Mix in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk.
- Beat until fully combined.
- Stir in half of the coconut and 1 1/4 cups of toasted pecans.
- Split the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese and remaining cup of butter until light, fluffy and smooth.
- Mix in the remaining 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extracts.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until creamy and smooth.
- Place one layer of the cake on a serving plate.
- Frost the top of the layer and sprinkle with pecans and toasted coconut.
- Place the second layer on top of the first.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle the top and sides of the cake with pecan pieces and toasted coconut.
- Store chilled due to the cream cheese frosting.