Walnut Coffee CakeFebruary 18, 2016
D and I enjoy coffee cake, especially when we are having a quiet weekend at home. This one has a lovely layer of cinnamon and walnuts in the middle that works well with the nutmeg-spiced cake batter.
You will need:
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 3/4 c sugar, divided
- 1 T + 1/2 t ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 c walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3/4 c butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 3 c flour
- 1 1/2 c yogurt (plain or vanilla)
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Butter a bundt pan liberally.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar with 1/2 cup of the sugar, the walnuts, and 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter with the remaining 1 1/4 cups of sugar until lightly and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs until light and creamy.
- Whisk in the vanilla, nutmeg, remaining cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in the flour and yogurt, alternating, until smooth.
- Spread 1/3 of the topping on the bottom of the bundt pan.
- Top with half of the batter
- Top with the remaining topping.
- Spread the remaining batter on top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean. It should be golden.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to continue cooling.