Fresh Apple CakeSeptember 20, 2015
The fall is a wonderful time for baking, especially with apples. We had a lazy Sunday, so I made this for an afternoon treat. It would also be yummy with a cup of tea or coffee.
You will need:
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c apple butter (substitute brown sugar if needed)
- 1 c sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, melted
- 3 green apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/4 t cloves
- 2 c flour
- Extra raw sugar to sprinkle on top
Then you will…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9 baking dish with aluminum foil and lightly grease.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugars, apple butter (if using), vanilla and butter.
- Stir in the apples.
- Mix in the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- Mix in the flour.
- Spread in the prepared baking dish. Top with the extra raw sugar.
- Bake 45-60 minutes or until set in the middle and golden on top.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.