Apple Butter CakeJune 16, 2015
One of my good friends gifted me some apple butter made by his mom. It is scrumptious, and I wanted to try my hand at showcasing it in something equally enticing. This is a simple cake that you can bake in a 9×13 dish or a bundt pan.
You will need:
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
- 3/4 c apple butter
- 1 c sour cream
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 c ground almond meal (optional)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch glass baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs until well combined and smooth.
- Mix in the apple butter, sour cream and vanilla.
- Stir in the almond meal (if using), baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the flour until incorporated.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar with the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle the spiced brown sugar mixture on top of the cake.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden and a tester in the middle comes out clean.