Spinach Tortellini Tomato SoupJune 4, 2015
This soup is a quick on to put together. For an easy dinner, add a side salad and some crusty bread!
You will need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings (optional if you want a vegetarian soup)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomato with their juices
- 32 oz low sodium broth
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t dried basil
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz refrigerated spinach tortellini
- 9 oz fresh baby spinach
Then you will…
- In a large stock/soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- If using, add the sausage. Cook stirring frequently until crumbled and starting to brown.
- Add the onion and cook another 5 minutes, or until the onions are starting to soften and brown.
- Meanwhile, blend together the garlic cloves and one can of the diced tomatoes with their juices until finely pureed.
- Add the garlic-tomato mixture to the pot with the sausage and onions. Stir together.
- Add the other can of tomatoes to the pot along with the broth, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the tortellini and allow to cook for time on the package.
- With about one minute left, stir in the fresh spinach to wilt it.
- Serve hot!