Florentine Cauliflower SteaksMay 7, 2015
This is a yummy dish that can either serve as a vegetarian main course or a robust side dish. It is full of spinach and cheese, and the roasted cauliflower has a nutty flavor that is extra delicious.
You will need:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 2 T butter
- 2 T flour
- 1 c milk
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1/4 c panko breadcrumbs
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with sides.
- Cut the cauliflower in half (top to bottom of stem). Remove extra leave but leave the core and top part of the stem.
- Cut the cauliflower into 2-inch thick slices.
- Place the cauliflower on baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper.
- Roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the cauliflower over.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until it is smoothly incorporated into the butter-flour mixture (roux).
- Whisk in the garlic.
- Allow the mixture to thicken, whisking regularly.
- Whisk in the Parmesan until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the spinach.
- Roast the cauliflower for another 10 minutes. It should be tender enough to pierce with a fork and a golden brown along the edges.
- Top the cauliflower with the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Return the cauliflower to the oven and bake until the crumbs are golden, about another 5 minutes.