Santiago Almond CakeMay 3, 2015
- 2 2/3 c finely ground almond meal from blanched almonds
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 t almond extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth and a pale yellow.
- Beat in the zests and almond extract.
- Stir in the almond meal and mix well. The mixture will be rather thick.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until you have stiff peaks.
- Fold the eggs whites into the almond mixture in thirds.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden and set in the middle.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove the sides and allow to cool completely.
- Remove from the pan and set on a serving dish.
- Dust the cake with a little powdered sugar before serving.