Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp)April 20, 2015
Gambas al Ajillo is a delicious Spanish dish, especially if you like seafood and garlic. There are a few steps here that can be done in advance, like preparing the seasoned olive oil. This will keep the day-of cooking down to a minimum.
You will need:
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled with shells reserved
- 1/2 c olive oil, divided
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes
- 1 t sherry vinegar
Then you will…
- Mince 4 cloves of the garlic.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the minced garlic, salt, paprika and lemon zest.
- Toss the shrimp with the olive oil seasoning mixture. Set aside.
- Crush 4 cloves of the garlic.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over low heat.
- Add the crushed garlic with the shrimp shells and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes. You want to keep the oil at a gentle simmer.
- Strain the hot oil through a fine sieve to remove the shrimp shells and cooked garlic. (You can throw away the used shells and garlic).
- Thinly slice the remaining two cloves of garlic.
- Return the hot oil to the skillet on medium heat.
- Add the sliced garlic to the skillet and sauté until just starting to brown.
- Add the shrimp, lemon juice and sherry vinegar.
- Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Season the shrimp to taste and serve with crusty bread to sop up the sauce.