Mock SangriaApril 15, 2015
My girlfriends and I recently started hosting “wine down Fridays,” where we go to one of our houses for snacks and drinks one Friday a month. The idea was to make sure we have time to catch up in an environment where we can relax and have fun. I hosted a Spain-inspired evening, and I wanted to have something to drink that was not wine. Check out this mock sangria! It’s quite refreshing and easy to put together.
You will need:
- 2 c boiling water
- 2 Early Grey tea bags
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 pods of star anise
- 1/3 c honey (optional)
- 2 c pomegranate juice
- 1/2 c orange juice
- A mix of thinly sliced fruits (I used a blood orange, lemon, lime and green apple)
- 2 c soda or seltzer water
Then you will…
- In a small mix bowl or a large measuring cup, pour the boiling water over the tea bags.
- Add the cinnamon and star anise to the tea mixture and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags.
- If using, mix in the honey until it is dissolved in the tea.
- Pour the tea into a large pitcher.
- Add the juice(s) and your sliced fruit.
- Refrigerate overnight (if you prepare the day of an event, allow to sit for as long as possible).
- Add the soda water just before serving.
p.s. You can always substitute a dry sparkling wine for the soda water if you decide you do not want a mocktail.