Chili Queso DipMarch 6, 2015
I’m not sure I could go without cheese in life. When it’s melty, I love it even more. This is a fun version of queso dip that will be a big hit at your next party. If you have a crockpot, use it to keep the dip warm when serving.
You will need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c ale of your choice
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 3 T cornstarch
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 c sharp cheddar or a Mexican blend of cheese, shredded
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced fire-roasted tomatoes with green chili peppers, drained
- 1/4 c scallion, chopped
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
Then you will…
- In a large sauce pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beer and allow to reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in 1 cup of the milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile whisk together the remaining half cup of milk with the cornstarch.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the onion-milk pot. Stir constantly as the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the spices and mix well.
- Stir in the cheese until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the lime juice and tomatoes. Stir occasionally until heated through and bubbly.
- Just before serving, add the scallion and cilantro. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips!