Chai Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese FrostingFebruary 28, 2015
I love my book club. We rotate around to people’s houses and get together every few weeks to talk about a new book over food and laughter. It is always a most excellent way to spend an evening. Our latest hosts cooked up an Indian feast, so I decided to try my hand at some chai-inspired cupcakes. These spicy little cakes are balanced out by a delicious cream cheese frosting (plus a surprise filling)!
You will need:
- 2 t ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/2 t ground cardamom
- 1/4 t ground allspice
- 1/8 t ground black pepper
- 1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 2/3 c milk
- 8 oz light cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 1/2 c powdered sugar
- OPTIONAL: caramel sauce (I picked up a 10 oz Fleur de Sel version from Trader Joe’s)
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Add paper liners to a tray for 12 cupcakes.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon with the ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 1/2 of the butter into the granulated sugar.
- Mix in the egg and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla until well combined and fluffy.
- Mix in the salt, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture.
- Mix in the flour and the milk, alternating between the two. Stir just until combined.
- Fill each cupcake cup 2/3s full of batter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until slightly golden. A toothpick or tester in the middle should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the cupcake tin and cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a stand mixer or using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese with the remaining 1/2 cup of butter.
- Beat in the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1/4 t of the chai mixture and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar on low speed until combined. Then increase the speed to medium until fluffy and smooth.
- OPTIONAL: Use a cupcake or apple corer to remove a small part of the top of the cupcake. Fill with the caramel sauce.
- Frost the cupcakes as liberally as desired.
- Share with friends (and there will be no leftovers)!