Sweet Potato CasseroleJanuary 12, 2015
This is an addictive side dish that could almost double as a dessert! We served this for our big holiday meal and it was the perfect accompaniment to the savory main dishes on the table.
You will need:
- 4 c mashed sweet potato (either bake and mash some or check out the freezer section)
- 1 2/3 c brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, divided
- 1/3 c flour
- 1 c chopped pecans
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup of the brown sugar with the flour and pecans.
- Melt 1/4 cup (1/2 of a stick) of the butter and mix into the pecan mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potato with the remaining 2/3 cup of brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla, and eggs.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter and mix into the sweet potato mixture.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top of the sweet potato mixture with the pecan mixture. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to rest at least 15 minutes before serving.