Italian MeatloafSeptember 21, 2014
Meatloaf is a very versatile dish. There are variations on meatloaf that can be found on menus across the globe, and there are even recipes going back to ancient Rome! Using a blend of ground turkey and beef makes it a little bit lighter than some versions you might find. You will add in lots of Italian herbs and some cheese to balance it out. Not sure that this one is your style? Check out one of these other versions: Caroline’s meatloaf, vegetable meatloaf, yummy meatloaf, or roasted tomato meatloaf.
You will need:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c breadcrumbs
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 c shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1/2 c tomato sauce, plus extra for serving
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil to catch any drips.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef, turkey, eggs, breadcrumbs, onion, basil, oregano, thyme, pepper, salt, Worcestershire and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Be careful not to over mix; this will keep the loaf from being too dense and tough.
- Lightly press the meat mixture into the loaf pan.
- Top it with the tomato sauce.
- Place the loaf pan on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until cooked through and delicious.
- Top with the remaining cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with some warmed tomato sauce.