Cinnamon Chocolate Chip RollsAugust 11, 2014
Both my mom and my sister have a soft spot for cinnamon rolls. I have to admit that there is something pretty exciting about the slightly sweet dough and the cinnamon filling that gets swirled into the roll. I’ve been playing around with recipes for at-home cinnamon rolls and came up with this!
You will need:
- 3/4 c milk
- 3/4 c unsalted butter, divided
- 2 1/4 t yeast
- 1/4 c water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 T + 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c mini chocolate chips (optional)
Then you will…
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk with 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat. Heat until the milk starts to bubble, but not to a full boil. This will scald the milk.
- Allow to cool to lukewarm. Stir in the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the water, egg and sugar.
- Whisk in the milk-yeast mixture.
- Stir in the flours and 1/2 t of the ground cinnamon, until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth, roughly 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a warm, damp cloth and let it rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, melt the remaining half cup of butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar and remaining tablespoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- Roll the dough out into a 12×9 inch rectangle.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate chips, if using.
- Roll the dough up lengthwise and seal the seams.
- Cut into twelve equal pieces.
- Place with the cut side up in a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.