Cannoli PieJuly 26, 2014
Cannoli are a very fun dessert to eat, but they may seem a bit intimidating to make at home. This pie marries the best of the flavors in a really easy-to-pull-together way. I drizzled chocolate sauce on top of mine. Try this dessert at your next dinner party! You will need:
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 c + 3 t sugar, divided
- 1 T brown sugar
- 2 t ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 T unsalted butter, cold
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 T milk
- 2 c ricotta
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c semisweet chocolate chips
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour with 1/2 cup of the sugar, the brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the nutmeg and salt.
- Cut in the butter until the dough begins to pebble.
- Hand mix 1 of the eggs and the milk into the dough. Knead until well mixed.
- Press the dough into the prepared tart pan.
- Place the pan with the dough in the freezer while you mix the filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ricotta with the remaining egg, the remaining 3 teaspoons of sugar, the remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the filling into the dough-lined tart pan.
- Place the pie on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the dough is slightly browned and the filling has puffed slightly and set.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before serving.