Tomato and Spinach PilauJune 7, 2014
We served this when D’s parents were in town. It was pretty easy to put together and a really fun veggie side dish with tasty rice. It’s not particularly spicy, which makes it an easy complement to other flavors.
You will need:
- 1 c brown rice (we used a brown rice medley from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 t cumin
- 1/2 t garam masala
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 3 3/4 c unsalted vegetable stock
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1 c unsalted and roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Then you will…
- Place the rice in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to soak for 20 minutes and then drain.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil and the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until starting to soften.
- Add the tomatoes and continue cooking, another 5 minutes.
- Mix in the rice, stirring to coat. Continue cooking another 2 minutes.
- Mix in the cumin and garam masala spices.
- Stir in the carrots. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the stock and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and then cover. Simmer over low heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the liquid cooked away.
- Place the fresh spinach on top of the rice mixture. Cover again and cook another 2 minutes to start wilting the spinach.
- Remove from heat and mix the spinach into the rice.
- Stir in the cashews.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.