Chicken YogurtluApril 25, 2014
This is a fun play on a more traditional chicken kebab. It also reminds me of a panzanella salad, because you make large toasty croutons to soak up the tomato sauce. This definitely is a slightly spicy dish with the cayenne pepper. If you leave it out, the dish will better suite milder taste buds!
You will need:
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 c Greek yogurt, divided
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested, divided
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 t ground ginger
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/4 t cayenne
- 3/4 t ground cumin, divided
- 1 small bunch fresh mint, minced
- 3 T olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 c crushed tomatoes
- 4 T butter, divided
- 4 c ciabatta, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
Then you will…
- Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 c of the Greek yogurt with the lemon zest, half of the lemon juice, 1 minced clove of garlic, ginger, oregano, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin, and 4 teaspoons of the mint. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the chicken. Allow to marinate for 1 hour. Then allow to warm up for a half hour on the counter.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining cup of yogurt with the other half of the lemon juice, 2 cloves minced garlic, and the remaining mint. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and allow to saute until softened and lightly caramelized.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cumin to the onion mixture. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of the butter and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and garlic powder. Continue stirring while the bread crisps and turns golden. Remove from heat and reserve on a plate.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken with its yogurt sauce. Allow to cook 5-8 minutes, or until cooked through and browned.
- To serve, place the toasted bread on a plate. Top with tomato sauce, some chicken and a little of the yogurt sauce. Enjoy!