Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Fresh BlueberriesMarch 31, 2014
This cake is inspired by lemon poppyseed bread. The cake is sweet enough for dessert, but it would be a great addition to any brunch.
You will need:
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 + 1/4 c sugar, divided
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 egg
- 3 T poppyseeds
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c light sour cream
- 3 c fresh blueberries
- 4 T blueberry jam
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/3 c powdered sugar
- 2 T strong coffee
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter together with 1/3 cup of the white sugar plus the brown sugar.
- Mix in half of the zest and lemon juice.
- Mix in the egg, poppyseeds, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir in half of the flour and half of the sour cream.
- Repeat with the remaining flour and sour cream.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, the other half of the lemon zest and juice, the blueberries, blueberry jam and nutmeg.
- Spread the fruit on top of the batter.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until the center is set and the cake is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing the springform sides.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar with as much of the coffee as needed to making a drizzling consistency. Drizzle to taste on top of the cake.