Six Spice Roast ChickenMarch 20, 2014
I really enjoy roasting chickens. It makes your home smell wonderful, and then you can choose to serve it in so many ways. This one has a nice combination of spices to keep it flavorful. You can just serve it alongside potatoes and veggies; you can make soup or sandwiches; you can shred it and have it with a salad; or whatever you desire.
You will need:
- 1 roasting chicken (6-8 lbs)
- 2 t paprika
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground allspice
- Salt + pepper, according to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t red wine vinegar
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Take out a roasting pan and have it at the ready.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken. Trim any areas where there is a significant excess of fat and/or skin such you around the neck.
- Place the chicken back side up in the roasting pan.
- Wash your hands.
- In a small bowl, combine the six spices (paprika, cumin, garlic, ginger, cinnamon and allspice). Mix in some salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Stir the olive oil and vinegar into the spice mixture.
- Spread the half of the spice mixture on the back of the chicken, being sure to get under the skin.
- Flip the chicken so the breast side is up. Spread the remaining half of the spice rub on the front of the chicken. Again, be sure to season under the skin.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Continue to roast the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. For a 6-8 pound chicken, this will be about another 90 to 120 minutes.
- Remember to baste the chicken with its juices periodically so the breasts don’t dry out.