Lemon Cinnamon Quick BreadMarch 10, 2014
This is a lightly sweet bread full of cinnamon and lemony goodness. You don’t have to knead it, so this dough comes together very quickly. It makes great snacking toast and is a nice accompaniment to some afternoon tea. I think it would be a yummy french toast too. This recipe makes two loaves; try freezing one loaf in case of unexpected company!
You will need:
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- ~ 2 c milk
- 1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 2/3 c sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 2 t baking soda
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 t ground cinnamon
Then you will…
- Pour the lemon juice into a two-cup measuring cup. Fill to the 2 cup line with milk. Allow to sit (undisturbed) for 5 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and 2 cups of the sugar.
- Mix in the eggs.
- Stir in the lemon zest, ground ginger, baking soda, flours and milk mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2/3 cup of sugar with the cinnamon.
- Spread 1/4 of the batter in one of the loaf pans. Repeat with the second loaf pan.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cinnamon sugar on top of the batter in the first pan. Repeat with the second pan.
- Spread half of the remaining batter in the first pan. Spread the last 1/4 of the batter in the second pan.
- Divide the remaining cinnamon sugar between the two loaf pans.
- Swirl with a butter knife.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until set in the middle and golden on top.
- Allow to cool at least 15 minutes in the pan, before turning out on a wire rack to finish cooling.