Chicken, Mushroom and Prosciutto PieMarch 4, 2014
I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit for the first Sunday night dinner at our new place. It is a lighter meat pie than my Steak Pie, but D thought it was still comforting and perfect for a cold, winter evening. We enjoyed it so much that we almost didn’t have leftovers.
You will need:
- 6 T butter, divided
- 1 lb baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 oz thin prosciutto slices, cut into thin strips
- 2 t zested lemon peel
- 3/4 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 c dry white wine
- 2 c low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 T flour
- 1 1/2 c peas
- 3/4 c grated cheese (I used a Swiss/Gruyere blend)
- 1 can crescent roll dough
Then you will…
- In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic; sauté about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and continue cooking, allowing the liquids to reduce.
- When there is a little more than a half cup of liquids left, pour them out of the pan and reserve.
- Add the prosciutto to the pan and cook with the mushrooms and chicken until everything is starting to brown.
- Stir in the wine to deglaze the pan. Add one cup of the chicken stock plus the lemon zest, thyme, salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Whisk the flour into the butter. Allow to cook about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the second cup of broth to the butter-flour roux mixture.
- Stir the butter-flour-broth mixture into the main pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the cheese into the filling pot until melted and smooth.
- Pour the filling into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Top with the flat crescent roll dough.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and the dough is cooked through and golden.