Apple Cinnamon Baked OatmealDecember 24, 2013
This is ridiculously easy. It is also very warm and filling, which makes the perfect idea for a post-holiday breakfast or a brunch. You can put the whole dish together in just a few minutes the night before and then pop the oatmeal into the oven. You will have fresh, warm breakfast in no time at all! This will easily serve about 6 adults.
You will need…
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c pure maple syrup (or honey if needed)
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 c melted butter (could substitute canola oil)
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 2 small apples, grated
- 1 1/4 c milk
- 3 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 c brown sugar
Then you will…
- In a large mixing bowl, combine everything except for the brown sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate or a 9×9-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, take the oatmeal out of the fridge while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the oatmeal and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the center is set.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and return the oatmeal to the oven for another 5-10 minutes to caramelize the sugars.
- Serve warm with whatever toppings you like!