Apricot Granola BarsDecember 14, 2013
These bars are a little on the sweet side, but they are a great pick-me-up in the afternoon of a busy day. You can use whatever dried fruits you really like. I used mostly apricots, but I also had some dried blueberries and plums lying around that I added. What are your favorites?
You will need:
- 12 T (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 c firmly packed dried apricots, chopped
- 1 1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 c flour
- 1 c + 3 T brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 c pecans, ground and divided
Then you will…
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9 inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats together with the flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- Stir in the apricots (or other dried fruits), butter, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the ground pecans. Mix until well blended.
- Press the dough into the dish with fingers until evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar with the remaining 1/4 cup of pecans.
- Sprinkle over the top of the bars. Lightly press into the batter.
- Bake until golden, about 35 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Use the foil to lift the bars from the pan. Peel away the foil and cut into small rectangles.