Vegetarian ChiliNovember 30, 2013
I made this on one of the early fall nights this year. It’s a perfect option for a Meatless Monday main course. I cooked it on the stove top, but it could easily go in a slow cooker.
You will need:
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 T oregano
- 1/2 t celery salt
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chili peppers, drained
- 1 package (12 oz) veggie crumbles (burger substitute)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes with garlic, celery and green pepper
- 1/8 c chili powder
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t pepper
- 1 beef bouillon cube (optional)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinse
- 1 bottle of lager
- 1 can (12 oz) whole kernel corn
Then you will…
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the onion, bay leaves, cumin, oregano and celery salt.
- Saute until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the green pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, zucchini and green chili peppers. Allow to heat through.
- Add the veggie crumbles and tomatoes (with their juices), breaking up any large bits of tomato.
- Mix in the chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Add the bouillon cube if using.
- Stir in the black beans, kidney beans and bottle of beer.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Allow to cook on low for about 45 minutes, or until reduced to the desired consistency.
- Taste test and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Mix in the corn about 5 minutes before serving, and allow to heat through.