Beer Braised Short RibsMay 28, 2013
This is a perfect Sunday dinner dish and go really well with mashed potatoes and fresh veggies. It’s a little different than a more traditional roast, and it is a great way to use up a straggler beer from your fridge. Even better, you get to toss everything in a slow cooker and come back after an outdoor adventure!
You will need:
- 4-5 lbs short ribs
- 2 T steak seasoning
- 3 medium onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz (1 bottle) chili sauce
- 12 oz (1 bottle) favorite beer — but not a dark one
- 1/2 c water
- 1 package dried onion soup mix
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
Then you will…
- Season the short ribs with the steak seasoning. Brown on all sides over high heat in a nonstick skillet.
- Place the short ribs in the slow cooker.
- Top with onion and celery.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the garlic, chili sauce, beer, water, onion soup mix, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the contents of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove the short ribs from the cooker. Get rid of the bones and shred the meat.
- Return the rib meat to the cooker and discard the bones.
- Allow to cook on low for another hour or two.
- Skim off excess fat from the sauce before serving.