Carrot Mac-n-CheeseMay 6, 2013
I wanted to make a variation on mac-n-cheese that was sneaky: it has oodles of carrot and Greek yogurt hidden inside to eek up the “it’s kind of healthy” factor. Check it out!
You will need:
- 1 lb of whole wheat pasta
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2/3 c water
- 3/4 c Greek yogurt, divided
- 1/2 t ground mustard
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 3/4 t chili powder
- 1/4 t cayenne powder
- 4 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 1 c milk
- 1/3 c sharp cheddar, shredded
- 3 T fresh chopped chives
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch glass baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the box’s directions minus 2 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion until softened and translucent.
- Simmer the carrots in the 2/3 cup of water until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Combine the onions with the carrots and any remaining water in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Add 1/2 c of the Greek yogurt along with the mustard, salt, pepper, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Puree until well combined.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until smooth. Allow to warm up until starting to thicken.
- Stir in the pureed carrot mixture plus the remaining Greek yogurt.
- Ensure it is hot through the whole sauce.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and allow to melt.
- Mix in the chives. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and pour into the prepared pan. (If feeling adventurous, feel free to top with a little extra cheese).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly, and the top is beginning to brown. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before serving.