Coconut Lime Chip Cookie BarsApril 22, 2013
These cookie bars might look like chocolate chip cookies at first glance, but inside they have a surprise: toasted coconut and fresh lime! I had some extra coconut lying around from another recipe and a lime and decided to make a baked treat with them. I used semisweet chocolate chips, but I think white chocolate chips would be a tasty alternative.
You will need:
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c applesauce, unsweetened
- 3/4 c sugar
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 2 c chocolate chips
- 2/3 c shredded coconut
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13×9-inch baking dish with tinfoil and lightly grease with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter with the applesauce and sugars until well mixed.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until well mixed and smooth.
- Stir in the salt, baking soda and lime zest.
- Add the lime juice and 1/2 c of the flour. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour and mix until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the coconut.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before transferring the foiled-lined cookie to a wire rack.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.