Slow Cook Coconut Brown Rice PuddingMarch 2, 2013
This is a recipe adapted from the Food Network Kitchens. I loved how easy it was to put together! When you make rice pudding on the stove, you need to stick around to prevent the sides from burning or something crazy from happening. Using the crockpot meant I could mix the ingredients together and work on other things AND still have a yummy/healthy dessert later. I topped mine with some freeze-dried pineapple and coconut flakes, but be creative!
You will need:
- 3 c coconut water
- 1 can (13.5-oz) lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 1/4 c short-grain brown rice
- 2 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 T lime zest
Then you will…
- Lightly spray your slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the prepared slow cooker bowl, combine the coconut water, coconut milk, water, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and everything is mixed well.
- Stir in the rice and cook on HIGH 4 hours or LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Uncover, stir well and let stand 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the butter. Continue to cool, stirring, until warm.
- Stir in the lime zest.
- Serve warm or chill until cold. Top as desired.