Turkey Sloppy Joe SlidersFebruary 7, 2013
Growing up we used to have sloppy joes fairly regularly for dinner. Usually that meant ground beef plus a can of Manwich or, every once in awhile, some with homemade sauce. I made this lighter version with ground turkey recently for a group of friends. It is easy to make ahead and then keep warm in a crockpot, plus it makes great leftovers.
You will need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 lb ground turkey
- Half of a large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 c chili sauce
- 3/4 c ketchup
- 1 c water
- 3 T tomato paste
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 t dry mustard
- 2 t chili powder
- 1 T plus 2 t Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Then you will…
- Brown the turkey in the olive oil over medium heat in a large, deep skillet. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in the onion, pepper and garlic. Cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chili sauce and ketchup. Mix well.
- Add the water and tomato paste and stir until well combined.
- Mix in the brown sugar, dry mustard, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce.
- Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If the mixture is too liquidy, continue to simmer until desired consistency.