Squash and Mushroom PieNovember 26, 2012
This is a lovely fall dish. You could serve it alongside a simple salad for a sensational meal — plus the leftovers are pretty tasty too!
You will need:
- 1/3 c whole wheat flour
- 2/3 c plus 2 T all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t salt, divided
- 3/4 t pepper, divided
- 1/4 t ground mustard powder, scant
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t baking powder
- 1/4 c plus 2 T olive oil divided
- 3 T ice water
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 2 T fresh thyme
- 1 c shredded cheese (I used a Swiss/Emmentaler blend. Gruyere would also be yummy)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 c dry white wine
Then you will…
- Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- To prepare crust, combine both flours with 1/4 t each of salt, pepper, mustard powder, garlic powder, and baking powder in a food processor; pulse until combined.
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil with the ice water in a small bowl.
- With processor on, slowly add oil mixture through chute, and process until dough is crumbly. Sprinkle dough into the prepared 9-inch pie plate. Quickly press dough into an even layer in bottom and up sides of pie plate. Place crust into preheating oven, and bake for 10 minutes.
- To prepare filling, place squash, onion and garlic in the same food processor (do not clean from dough), and process for 1 minute or until finely chopped.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add squash mixture to pan; sauté for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the thyme.
- While squash cooks, mix together 1/2 c of the cheese, the eggs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Stir into squash mixture (be careful to stir continuously while adding to avoid scrambled eggs!).
- Remove crust from oven; spoon squash mixture over crust, and spread evenly. Return tart to 425° oven; bake 9 minutes.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add pancetta; cook 1 minute or until beginning to brown.
- Add mushrooms; cook for 7 minutes or until browned. Stir in remaining salt and pepper.
- Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Remove tart from oven. Arrange the mushroom mixture evenly over top of tart; sprinkle with the remaining.
- Return tart to oven and bake 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.