Curried Tomato SoupOctober 28, 2012
This is simple soup that is made awesome by the addition of curry. Plus my friends agreed: “adding carrots makes it extra tasty so it really feels like a meal.” It uses two types: red curry paste and yellow curry powder. If you can’t find the paste, just substitute more yellow curry to taste!
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 carrots, thinly minced
- 1-2 celery stalks, thinly minced
- 1 can (28 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 T Thai red curry paste
- 1-3 t yellow curry powder (to taste)
- ½ t ground cumin
- 2 c chicken stock
- 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
Then you will…
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium-size stockpot. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Stir until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices and bring to a boil.
- Add curry paste, 1 t curry powder, cumin, and chicken stock. Cover partially and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and use a blender to puree until smooth. (Use caution with hot liquid in blenders!)
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add additional curry powder to taste.