Crock Pot CarnitasOctober 23, 2012
The fall is a great time of year for slow cooking with a crock pot. There is some amazing about coming home after being at work or out all day to a home that is full a ready-to-eat dinner. I found this recipe on Eat Live Run and made it the very same day. The cool thing about carnitas (aka steak tacos) is that the meat becomes very versatile. You can use it in tacos or to make nachos or inside a sandwich or on top of a southwestern salad. Try and let me know your favorite way to dress it up!
You will need:
- 2 lbs flank steak (or skirt steak)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 t chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t black pepper
- Avocado or guacamole
- Your favorite salsa
Then you will…
- Mix together all spices in a small bowl. Rub the spices all over your flank steak—be generous here! Then, place your steak at the bottom of your crock pot.
- Cover the steak with the chopped onions, bell peppers and jalapeno pepper. Turn heat on LOW and cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove meat from crock pot and shred with a fork. It should be incredibly easy to shred. You can either stick the shredded meat back in the pot for another hour or serve as is.
- To serve, heat your corn tortillas in a skillet on the stove. Spoon some carnitas on a tortilla then top with salsa, avocado, and a squeeze of lime.
- Enjoy with a margarita for best result.