Savory Bread PuddingJuly 26, 2012
I’m not sure I’ve every really seen a bread pudding that wasn’t sweet and full of dessert-type goodness. This savory version is a very decadent brunch treat and proves that bread pudding does not have to be only for dessert.
You will need:
- 2 c milk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 6 c stale bread, cubed into bite-sized pieces (I used a rosemary loaf)
- 1 1/2 c broccoli florets
- 2 T olive oil
- 6 strips of thick-cut bacon, crisped and crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar
Then you will..
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk with the eggs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Pour the egg mixture on top and stir to mix.
- Toss the broccoli with one tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until beginning to brown.
- Cook the onion in the remaining olive oil. Saute until softened but not yet browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Stir in the roasted broccoli.
- Scatter the bacon and cheese over the bread in the baking dish, and then stir in. Mix in the broccoli mixture next.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes uncovered.